So, last Saturday I had my first training ride with the ALC group, but it was also my first time back on the bike since my accident in October.
I met up with a group in Mountain View, Chris' group (http://www.ridewithchris.org). There were 28 of us, a nice mix of experienced ALCers and newbies like me. I knew it was going to be a 40 mile ride, but mostly on flats so I didn't think there would be too much problem with that. I was more concerned about how I would be on the bike.
We took off at 10 and immediately it felt fantastic! I was so happy to be out riding again. I felt good.. strong and comfortable on my bike. No issues from the accident at all.
We rode 14 miles before we hit our first rest stop, Starbucks on Homestead, and I got to talk with a few people in line for the bathroom. In line I met Maggie, a girl that did the ride last year and is now a TRL this year.
The training rides really are go at your own pace, so when Maggie was ready to ride, I decided to ride out with her. We were going down Stelling to McClellan, a route I have done previously on my rides up to StevensCreek Reservoir.
Things were good for a while, Maggie and I conversed comfortably for a while, but we hit a slight uphill grade and Maggie is just stronger than I am, so I told her to go on. I played catch up for a while.. I'm always fast on flats and downhill, though not as fast as I used to be.
About 24 miles into the ride, I started to peter out.. I really struggled the last few miles before rest stop #2, another Starbucks in Menlo Park. I was tired, I hadn't eaten enough, but mostly.. my ASS hurt! Apparently your butt is like a callous. After being off the bike for a while, it forgets what it's like to be on that little saddle for 4 hours.
At the rest stop I met a few more people, Susann, Nancy, Lionel, Patrick and a couple others.. Everyone was fantastic. I did learn though, that a good number of riders judge their routes by the coffee they can get on their rides. lol.
We took off after a bit, only 10 more miles to go, but my body hurt. There were a few moments when I felt close to giving up, but that's the thing about riding.. uh.. where ya gonna go if you don't ride home?
I pushed through it and many thanks to Nancy for sticking by me those last 10 miles, talking with me and encouraging me to take it at my pace.
I was the last to come in from that ride, but I did it. I was hella sore that night, but my girlfriend was nice enough to get us a hotel room for a special night away.. jacuzzi and all. I sat in that spa for over 2 hours. I definitely have the best partner ever!
So, tomorrow I go for another ride with a Cat-1 group, a shorter, slower ride but I think I need it for a while until I get my strength back and until my butt gets used to it again.
Again a big thanks to all of those that I rode with last week and a bigger thanks to those that have donated!
Stay tuned for another ride report after this weekend...
No comments:
Post a Comment