Dec 21, 2013

Day 4 Post Op

I missed writing a couple of days, so here's a quick catch up..

I had surgery Monday, December 16th at 10 am. Everything went smoothly. My mom, Kim and Angel were at the hospital with me. When I was wheeled into the O.R. the nurse there told me that Dr. Legha had done her bypass 5 years before and then she gave me some tips.. but unfortunately, I have no idea what they were.

I don't remember much about waking up. Just people trying to talk to me and ask me questions, but I don't remember what those were either. I remember them wheeling me to my room and seeing my family on the way. Then we were there, they explained the tv controls, that I could have ice chips and that they would be in periodically to check my vitals, give me meds for nausea and someone from respiratory would be there to hook up my cpap.

What I remember most is that I couldn't stay awake to save my life. At one point in the evening, a nurse made a comment about how much I was sleeping, but I was sooooo tired. My mom and Angel were trying to talk to me about how I was feeling, but it wore me out to talk. I don't remember a lot of pain, just that it was tiring.

They left for dinner, I slept and they came back later. We chatted for a while and they decided to let me rest, so they went home for the night. I vaguely remember people coming in and out to check vitals and things, but I was so out of it. The next morning was a totally different story. I woke up feeling good and excited to try some of my breakfast, but I think I only had jello. I felt great, no pain, none of the dreaded gas pains that so many people talk about. I was ready to go home and get on with things..

Dr. Legha came in to see me around 9 am and told me I was ready to go home. They did my paperwork and my mom and Kim came to the hospital to see me and ended up taking me home. I was discharged with a prescription for liquid vicodin, but when Angel went to get it filled, the pharmacy didn't carry it and none of their other stores did either. So, we had to chase down Dr. Legha to get him to prescribe something else. Looking back, we could have just taken the prescription to the PAMF pharmacy and they would have filled it, but too late now.

Dr. Legha called in Tylenol with codine for me. By this time, the morphine from the hospital was wearing off and I was starting to hurt. When I got the new meds and took my first dose, it unfortunately didn't help much. Apparently there is a huge difference between IV drip Morphine and Tylenol 3 with Codine. lol.

By Tuesday night I was starting to hurt from those dreaded gas pains. I felt like I had been hooked up to an air hose and let loose, but it was not coming out no matter what I did.

Between Tuesday and tonight, it is a world of difference. I am still having some issues with gas pains when I eat, but not terribly. I didn't take any pain meds today at all from 1 am this morning until 5 pm tonight and I felt fine all day.

Tonight I went out of the house for the first time to do some Christmas shopping with Angel for the kids. It was great to get out of the house, but I might have pushed it a little. I was pooped by the time I got home.

Sometime soon, I'll write something about what led to the decision to pursue a Gastric Bypass and what my goals are coming out of this, but it may come out sporadically. It's Christmas time, lots left to do for that and I start back at work on Monday.

For now I'll say goodnight..


No comments:

Post a Comment