Apr 27, 2009

DOTR - Day on the Ride

Saturday April 25th was DOTR, Day on the Ride. A fully supported 67 mile ride that is supposed to give everyone a feel for what things will be like on the ride. I signed up for this ride a while ago and I'm really glad I did.

I drove into Golden Gate Park at 5:30 am. Waaaayyyy too early. I grabbed all of my stuff, pumped up my tires and went over to the area where everyone was meeting. Right when I walked in I saw Maggie, a TRL that I met on one of my earlier training rides. We talked for a bit and she showed me where to go to check in. After that, she was nice enough to introduce me to her friends. We chatted for a bit, then I saw Mayor Bob and we talked for a while.

At about 6:30 they started opening ceremonies.. after all the usual speeches and some fun streching they released us to the world. Unfortunately my bike was parked so far in the back of bike parking that I didn't get out until almost the very last group to leave.

I took off in a group of people that I do not know. We rode towards the Presidio and I was nervous. I didn't know what to expect of the day and really wished that I knew some of the people I was near.

Soon enough we were heading up a large hill and of course I forgot to down shift in time. I had to pull over and readjust my gears, but then when I went to start, I hadn't shifted down enough and ended up rolling over, through the street. I got up as quick as I could, but wouldn't you know 3 girls were riding up the street just in time to see my little acrobatic move.

I got up and moving in time to kind of fall in line with them and ended up riding the majority of the 67 miles with them. They were great, very supportive and fun to talk to.

We stopped for lunch at about mile 40. It was nicely catered by Boudin's.. Turkey and Havarti.. Yummmm..

After lunch we all got a little more scattered. I met up with another couple, lol, young love. They were so cute, but so sappy. You know how it is when you're new in love.

Anyway.. one of the original 3 girls that I had rode with for a while waited for me at the start of the Golden Gate bridge. I asked her if she would because I knew I would be slower than her.. ugh that hill out of Sausalito is a killer. The wind on the bridge was terrible, but the sights were beautiful. I was too slow for Katie in the Presidio so I ended up finishing the ride by myself. I have to say.. there was one little hill coming in to the park at the end of the ride and I was so flippin tired, I considered walking my bike.. lol.

It was a fantastic ride and I know there were several times that I swore I was not going to ever get back on a bike and do that to myself again, but I guess it's like child birth.. you forget how bad it was when you have the accomplishment of finishing it.

They provided us with a pasta dinner after the ride and after that I walked out to my car to find that it had been broken into and my gps and phone stolen.. SUCK ASS!

Oh well.. they must have needed it more than I did.

After all of that.. I now have the Jon Pon Memorial ride on May 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment